- Difficulty: Moderate and safe (suitable for night training)
- Length: ~12km / 700m (4+ hours)
- Strava record:
- GPX download: Google drive (UM trip 001 UM12 waterfall .gpx)
- Google map (with Ultra Maokong courses, trips and useful way points):
- ULTRA Maokong exploration MAP
Start from 指南宮 Zhinan temple
- Course is very same as UM12 race, but with short modification and detour to visit nice waterfall
- Gun Lun waterfall 貓纜指南宮站 location
- 指南宮 大雄寶殿 Zhinan temple main dome: https://goo.gl/maps/inja7FhLAz3dbTGB7
- Best access by Maokong gondola (Zhinan temple st) 貓空纜車指南宮站
- by bus BR5 from Wanfang Community center MRT: https://goo.gl/maps/E3QJbbN7xfAL8dVk6
- not really difficult, but
- prepare enough liquids and snack
- final climb back to temple may be more difficult in hot weather
- detour to waterfall has quite technical descent with ropes, please be careful
- careful in stream and waterfall section
- take gps device if you are not familiar with this course
- this direction, or rather original UM12 without waterfall detour is good for NIGHT RUN, do not forget take good headlamp or two
Trail running or hiking in Taiwan is more challenging and danger than in others countries. But with preparation and enough equipment may be fun. Please study well location where you plan to go and prepare gps device or two (we use smartphone with app mapy.cz which can download all Taiwan map offline 300Mb or Locus free which can also display your gpx course and way points. I also often upload course also to GPS watch, eg. Coros APEX)
Go alone has higher risk. If you decide go alone be double careful and inform your wife/friend where you are planning to go. Take enough food and water. You may use filter in some stream, but do not drink water from stream directly, especially under 2000 of altitude. Equip your self with phone, jacket, buff, gloves, etc. I can recommend take light jacket for any trip and waterproof jacket in winter season. Good trail shoes are must.
You usually no need worry about animals, include snakes. Wild 🐕 dogs
may bark but they usually fine, house dogs 🐩 may be more aggressive.
Have fun out there!